When it comes to writing the first draft of your story, you’ve got two choices:
- Write multiple drafts, each time getting closer to figuring out your story
- Figure out your story ahead of time, so you only have to write one full draft (a draft that’s an edit and tweak away from being publishable)
This program is for those writers who choose Option #2.
Story Sessions—A One-Day Virtual Intensive
It’s time to take that idea seed out of your head and grow it into a full-blown story plan, so you can finally write your novel.
In this one-day virtual intensive, we’ll develop your story into a concept and premise, create your characters and figure out your story structure.
Then we’ll create a scene-by-scene roadmap for your entire book. You’ll walk away with everything you need to get your first draft finished.
And we’ll even have two short follow-up calls, two weeks later and four weeks later, to make sure you’re on-track with the writing.
This is a virtual intensive with five one-hour sessions via phone or Skype (your choice). Your follow-up calls will also take place in the same manner.
When you sign up, you’ll automatically be redirected to a page that has everything you need to schedule your Story Sessions intensive and get prepped.
On the day of your intensive, you’ll receive an email that contains the link to download your content. Then you’ll either call into a conference number or log onto Skype and connect with me.
We work for an hour, then break (Full schedule below).
“Jennifer gives you the background and the tools you’ll need to design and construct your story structure.
She coaches you with questions and suggestions to point out story holes or weaknesses that you may not have seen, but she has from the many stories she’s analyzed. Jennifer’s coaching has been a pleasant mind-expanding experience for me. I cannot imagine writing any other way now that I’ve used this process. To the naysayer I would say, structure does not stifle creativity it provides freedom.” —Ken B.
Schedule For the Day of Your Session:
Session #1: Transforming Your Idea Into A Concept and Premise (60 minutes)
We’ll take your idea seed, pull it apart, find the holes, add conflict and turn it into a concept and premise.
Session #2: Characters–Getting to Know and Creating Character Arc (60 minutes)
You’ll get to know your cast of characters, but especially your Protagonist and Antagonist, then you’ll develop the character arc for your Protagonist.
*45-Minute Lunch Break*
Session #3: Story Structure–Finding Your Core Story (60 minutes)
Now we’ll dig in and create the structure for your core story, which includes the First Plot Point, the Midpoint, the Second Plot Point, and two Pinch points.
Session #4: Scene Outline–Your Scene-By-Scene Beat Sheet (60 minutes)
After you have your structure, we’ll build a beat sheet that lists every scene you’ll need to connect your plot points and make a cohesive and engaging story.
Session #5: Writing the Draft–Game Plan (60 minutes)
We’ll come up with a plan to make sure you get the writing done, as well as work through any fear, distractions or disorganization that may stop you. And then we’ll schedule your two (30-minute) follow-up calls for two weeks later and four weeks later.
What You Walk Away With:
- A plan that will help you write your first draft easier and faster
- The ability to pen a draft that’s an edit and tweak away from publishable (no more full-draft rewrites)
- Confidence in yourself as a storyteller (and in your ability to write this story)
- A story-development process that you can use for the stories you write in the future
“Jennifer gives you the big picture, the little picture and shows you how it ties together. Unless you know about story structure and know exactly how to apply it to your work, you might waste weeks, months or years in your publication journey. Do your self a favour and use Jennifer’s expertise and straight-forward teaching methods to show you the way.”–Ute R.
Who This Intensive Is For
This one-day virtual intensive is for writers who are:
- Ready to fully focus on and engage in developing your core story, structure and scenes—before writing the first draft
- Interested in saving time by not having to write multiple drafts
- Open-minded and willing to make changes to the story
- Looking for support from a professional writing coach who has been there
This Intensive Is NOT For Writers Who:
- Prefer to write multiple drafts
- Want the novel-writing journey to unfold slowly over time
- Don’t want support figuring out the story
I’ll send you a copy of the book that inspired this intensive: Story Engineering by Larry Brooks.
Note: US students will receive a printed copy, international students will receive an eBook version.
To Sum It Up, You Get:
- Five hours dedicated exclusively to you and your story, with a professional writing coach by your side ($2,500 value)
- Two 30-minute follow-up calls ($1,000 value)
- A complimentary copy of Story Engineering by Larry Brooks ($15 value)
- The knowledge that you CAN write your book, and a planning process you can replicate for future books (Priceless)
Total Value of Story Sessions: $3,515+
Your Investment: $1,500
“All meaningful activity has structure. Take tennis, for example. It has a court, a net, and scoring system. Take those away, and we’re not playing tennis. We’re just flailing about with a couple of racquets and a ball. A sonnet has a very specific structure, too. If I try to write one without understanding its structure — I’ll end up with something, but it won’t be a sonnet.
A novel’s no different. Jennifer will prompt, cajole, challenge, and maybe even (gently) kick your butt, until your story idea fits the structure of a novel. And that is priceless. Because now your characters have something meaningful to do and somewhere meaningful to go. And your readers will have a meaningful experience.”–Christopher Y.
Make sure your story is solid by planning it first, before you waste any time writing your draft. Join me for Story Sessions: