Creativity can sometimes be a difficult thing to maintain. The reason? We allow our daily lives consume us. All the drama and negativity and stress and worry (etc.) of life clouds our minds, which in turn keeps us feeling “blocked” creatively.
Morning Pages can be a huge help—as I’ve mentioned before. But what if Morning Pages just aren’t enough? What if there’s so much stress in your life you need something else?
Then I highly suggest you give Morning Meditations a try.
Meditations are a combination of breathing and visualization exercises that are designed to calm your body and clear your mind.
When I was closing in on a year of writing Morning Pages, I started to feel like they weren’t helping as much as they used to. I felt like I still needed some additional mental clarity. So I turned to Lilou Mace, a law of attraction and meditation guru.
Lilou has created some of the most genius, mind-clearing, fear-removing meditations I’ve ever come across. The two that I’ve found to be the most helpful are the Quick and Effective Creative Visualization meditation and the Healing Meditation: Release Your Fears.
I do both of these every single morning. It only takes 10 minutes and the benefits can’t even really be described.
So far from doing these meditations daily for almost five months, I’ve:
- Gained clarity of mind—no longer is my mind cluttered with all the bullshit that comes with living life and working a day job.
- Improved circulation—all of the deep, slow breathing has improved my blood flow. Now my fingers and toes aren’t always frozen. This is especially nice on days when I’m typing for long periods of time.
- Quieted my mind–It probably won’t surprise you (since I’m a Social Media Manager at my day job) that I like to talk. That’s because my mind is constantly racing with things I need to do, say and take care of. These meditations have taught me how to quiet the negative voices and thoughts that are always with me. This is great for getting rid of the inner editor!
- Removed my fears—since I start every day releasing all of the things I’m afraid of, they no longer haunt me all day long. In fact, I’ve become more motivated now that my fears have subsided.
- My creativity was unleashed–I get ideas for blog posts, stories and all kinds of other random things throughout the day now. My creativity is no longer muddled by fears, which allows the ideas to come to me in a more clear, focused way.
There’s so much more I could tell you about, but you’re better off experiencing it for yourself. Once you do, you’ll never want to turn back.
How To Get Started
If you want to give Morning Meditations a try, just to see what happens (and I really, really recommend that you do!), here’s how to get started:
- Find a comfortable, quiet place in your house—for me, it’s my walk-in bedroom closet. For you it might be your home office or your kitchen or the room under the stairs.
- Grab a set of headphones and your iPhone/BlackBerry/Android/ETC phone that has internet access (and if your phone doesn’t have internet access, then you’ll have to meditate in front of your computer because these particular meditations are only available on YouTube).
- Sit up straight in a comfortable position.
- Listen to the meditations, starting with the Quick Creative Visualization meditation and ending with the Healing Release Your Fears meditation. (This is the order I recommend, but feel free to switch them around.)
- Go on with your day—yes, it’s really that simple. The results from your 10 minutes of meditating will follow you.
Note: If you’ve never meditated before, you may have trouble sticking with it at first. It’s OK. Just do your best and every time your mind wanders, bring it back to the meditation. Eventually, you’ll be able to get through an entire session without losing your focus.
Also, if you’re a beginner, you may feel light-headed afterwards for a few sessions. This is completely normally and just means you haven’t been allowing enough air to flow through your body. The more you practice, the quicker this feeling will go away.
What meditations have you tried in the past? How did these meditations help you create what you want and release all the things you don’t want?
Do you want two short, guided meditation-visualizations you can listen to before you write to help you release doubt and fear, and focus you in on your writing session? Grab the “Release Your Fears” Meditations (2 of them) for only $1 dollar.